Every webmaster knows that story: we polished the contents, create links, index, tag, and yet the Google index does not want to respond to the article. Whatever the reason - from slow web servers to non-compliant HTML - many factors can contribute to the search bots unhappiness - you should not forget to submit an XML Sitemap in the Webmaster area at www.google.com.
There are quite a few tools to generate sitemaps (or at least keep you waiting for one). What has been most reliable so far is http://xml-sitemap.com - in the basic version for free, up to 500 pages to be indexed. This is how the site map creation works:
- register Your URL on www.xml-sitemap.com
- Wait up to 1 hour until the Crwaler fnishes its task - you get some status updates every now and then
- After the downloadlinks to sitemaps in variuos formats shoow up, pick one and download. I choose the compressed
- Upload the sitemap via FTP directly into the root directory of your website
- Go to http://google.com/webmasters and give them the URL to ypur sitemap: Caution: The site map must be in the root direectory of your own website, other paths are not accepted.
- Then you have to wait a couple of hours or days, until the file is actually pulled and handled by Google. You will get a statusupdate in the webmasterarea about this